The learning journey of my English language has never been a smooth one since primary school. I still remember the first exam that I failed(English obviously…) had caused me to be in an anxious state of mind for the next few days as I was afraid to tell my mother. Since then, I knew that English language would be one of my biggest hurdles in my student life.
I have been trying to improve my grammar in my daily tasks like communicating with friends, be it face-to-face talking or texting. Due to the fact that I am from a Chinese speaking family, being with friends is the only time where I get to mainly converse in English. Despite my efforts in taking note of the grammar I use while speaking, I usually ended up getting mocked by my friends for using the wrong word or pronunciation. As such, I have a tendency to or end up speaking in Mandarin or Singlish(perhaps a subconscious attempt to hide my bad grammer?).
When I was told to sit for QET, I knew I would not pass with my lousy writing skills as well as the fact that I have not been writing for the past two years in my NS life. As expected, ES1102 will now be part of my English language learning journey, and I do have mixed feeling for having to take up this additional module. I was initially concerned by the extra workload from this module. However, that changes a bit after reading the reviews by other students and also getting to know that my teacher will be an interesting and funny one. What is done cannot be undone anyway, and all I can do now is try to make use of this class and improve my English as much as possible.
-Edited (August 27, 2014)
-Edited (August 27, 2014)
I am very sorry but I am not sure what category some of the mistakes belong to but I will try my best to highlight the examples.
ReplyDeleteI noticed that some of sentences would flow even better with the removal of certain redundant words. In para 2 line 3, mainly could be taken out. There is an over-usage of words like always, usually.
I have a feeling that these words belong to a certain basket but my lack of experience is preventing me from pointing it out properly. Somehow it does feel a bit weird each time I go through the sentence over and over again.
Anyways, glad to work with you yesterday and have a great weekend
I applaud you for your efforts in improving English through the simple things in life, like through talking and texting.
ReplyDeleteAs a Singaporean male, I understand your position as NS has not given me much opportunity to develop my writing skills as well. However, I do try to brush up on my language through non- NS activities such as writing in my journal and giving tuition.
Having said that, I feel that the “hurdles” you have mentioned in your introductory paragraph is somewhat a cognitive barrier you placed on yourself. I believe you should open up more in class and be unafraid of judgement. After all, we all belong to a tertiary institution, and should be mature enough to learn and teach each other in the class.
To start, I would like to point out certain grammatical errors in your writing. For example, “will” should replace “would” within the sentence “Since then, I knew that English language will be one of my biggest hurdles in my student life”. Also, the word “effort” should be with an ’S’ within the sentence “Despite my effort in taking note of the grammar I use while speaking, I usually ended up getting mocked by my friends for using the wrong word or pronunciation”.
Thank you for acknowledging your worries and sharing with us!
Hi Looyong,
ReplyDeleteI shared the same experiences as you, such as being laughed by my friends for wrong usage of words or wrong pronunciation. I think we must good use of this opportunity to work hard and improve our English. Let's work hard on improving our writing skills together.
Generally, I think that your reflection is very clear and concise.
Thanks for sharing.
Hi Loo Yong,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your interesting sharing. As I read your post, I sensed that you have come a long way in learning English. I am sorry to hear that you have been teased by your friends on your English mistakes. I hope you will not feel dejected to interact in English because of this.
My English is pretty bad too and so I am in no position to correct your writing. But I would like to highlight the following:
"Growing up in a Chinese speaking family, being with friends is the only time where I get to mainly converse in English."
"As such, I always have a tendency to or end up speaking in Mandarin or Singlish"
Thanks for this clear, concise reflection, Loo Yong. Your story sounds very familiar as your journey has been similar to that of other students. What stands out as different is when you state that you were mocked due to your English skills. I appreciate you sharing that with us. Certainly, that seems to have motivated you to improve your skills.
ReplyDeleteHere are a few areas that, while they do not deserve mocking (!), should be reviewed:
1) Since then, I knew that English language will be one of my biggest hurdles in my student life. (To express the future from a past perspective requires 'would.')
2) Growing up in a Chinese speaking family, being with friends is the only time where I get to mainly converse in English. (Who's growing up in a Chinese speaking family? Mr. Being?)
3) ...I knew I will never get a pass... > ?
4) I was initially concerned by the extra workload from this module, however that changes a bit after reading the reviews by other students and also getting to know that my teacher will be an interesting and funny one. (verb tense/run on)
Though it's true that I am a 'funny one,' I look forward to **working** with you this term! :)
Hi Loo Yong,
ReplyDeleteI have to agree that 'learning' English has never been easy for anyone, if learning English was even possible.
I personally feel that having a good grasp of a particular language has more to do with consistent work rather than 'Natural' talent. While I may agree that skills of the language can be taught, its how much you use it in your daily life that really counts.
If that is the case, let us continue to work hard for this course and strive to improve our language skills.
Good luck,
Benjamin