Thursday, November 13, 2014

Critical Reflection

Write a critically reflective post on the topic “The Role of Peer and Tutor Feedback." Explain your view of that feedback, how it impacted your developing writing skills, and whether/how you might have transferred content, organization and language skills learned in the course to writing assignments within any other module.

In Brad’s classes, we were tasked to feedback on each other’s assignments through commenting on each other's blogposts. The reason behind this approach is to make lessons more interesting and efficient. Through these peer review processes, we were exposed to a wider range of common mistakes instead of only our own’s. Initially, I felt stressful sometimes as I was not good at grammar. I was worried that the errors that I pointed out were incorrect as well.

After weeks of learning and feedbacks, I found that the experience was not as bad as I initially thought it would be. Everyone in the class had a common goal in mind, and that was to improve our English. We are not here to judge other people’s skills and abilities. We should set off with a mindset to learn and improve, not to worry about being judged or laughed at.

Through this experience, I have benefited and learnt a lot regarding grammar and other language stuffs. Lessons were also more interesting as it was a new approach (multiple drafts, posting of assignments on blog, and peer feedbacks etc.) that I had never experience before. Through Brad’s unique classes, I realized that I need to be more confident in whatever I do. No one is perfect, and we should not be afraid to make mistakes. Like what Brad always tells us- it is okay to make mistakes but most importantly, is the ability to correct these mistakes after multiple proof-readings.

As my ES1102 journey comes to an end, I do noticed that I have improved and gained more confident in my grammar skills. I had never thought of being the one who proofread and correct the grammatical mistakes in my group project reports. It might be because my other group members were also bad at grammar, but I choose to believe that ES1102 has given me this ability.



-Edited 15 Nov 2014

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this well focused reflection, Loo Yong. You do a good job of reviewing the feedback component of our course and explaining the way that ‘interaction’ has impacted your learning. I can see how your attitude towards mistakes has changed, and I’m glad you found great benefit in our process.

    I have also clearly seen improvement in your writing over the course of the term. You worked hard and have a lot to show for that effort. At the same time, you realize the challenges continue. Here is an example. One of your statements in this essay might communicate the wrong message. You write that, "This is a new teaching approach by him, in an attempt to make lessons more interesting and efficient." Actually, it is not a new approach by me, though it might be a new experience for you.

    In any case, I really appreciate your positive attitude and great effort this term, Loo Yong. All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the wrong message communicated, I have corrected the post~~ Thanks again for your teachings!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Loo yong!!

    It was nice working with you because of your positive mindset towards this module and through your post I can see that you are really a optimist!
    Similarly, after this module i have grown to become more positive about making mistakes and more confident with my editing skills:)

    All the best for finals!

    ReplyDelete